Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Politics (Oh noez)

That's right, politics. Oh, don't worry, what I have in mind for this I'd say is pretty bi-partisan. I know that my friends, and therefore the people who could be reading this, have pretty diversified views and I (for the moment at least) am not trying to stir up trouble by insulting one party or another.

Election day is coming up. Have you been following the debates? Do you know which politicians align most closely with your personal views and which ones only agree with you on the hot topics like abortion and gay rights? Let me make one request. If you don't know what most of the politicians running for a particular office advocate, please don't vote for that office. I really think there should be a political awareness test before people are allowed to vote, but that would obstruct some people's rights I guess. Whether you like Obama or not, I think we can agree that at least to some extent, a portion of his voters weren't educated about his platform, they just saw a non-white man running with a promise for change ("What kind of change you ask? I dunno, but any change is good change!") and filed in line. There were also people who jumped behind McCain because he was opposing "that radical black man" without knowing anything else about what McCain believed in. And Hilary Clinton? Forget about it. From where I'm sitting it seems like most people who voted in the primaries did so with only the knowledge that Clinton's husband may or may not have had an affair while he was president. I'm not voting, because I know that I haven't kept up with the debates. I don't even know who the incumbents (another terrible trend: voting for the incumbents because "they haven't screwed up too bad yet") are. Wouldn't you feel like an asshole if you accidentally voted for some nut job who used his/her position to support your views on abortion and gay rights (major hot topics right now, and some people actually vote based on these things alone) and also to raise taxes for your socioeconomic class and used the extra money to give him/herself a raise?

The other thing that I want to say is in regard to the facebook group letting their god know that for the purposes of dying, Obama is their favorite president. Some politicians do some really dumb stuff. Not a lot of politicians do things that they deserve to die for. Aside from being your president, who you should at least respect even if you don't like since a majority of your peers elected him, he's a father and a husband. If you don't want to him to be in office any more, tag along on the ballot with the Republican candidates who are desperately seeking something frivolous to impeach him for, but don't wish him dead. I've heard some people say that the facebook group isn't wishing for Obama's (or another powerful person, this could even apply to George Bush if there was such a group for him) death, but I can interpret no other meaning from the title of that group. Celebrate when his term is over if it suits you. To dislike him is within your right. To pray for someone's death is un-Christian. You can't ask your benevolent god to smite someone who hasn't committed any major wrong-doings against you or another demographic because it creates a logical fallacy. I've removed several people from my facebook friends list (not that they care I'm sure) for joining that group and giving me B.S. replies when I told them how I felt about it. So don't do it. >:(

Bi-partisan yes? Alright admittedly it's a little skewed, but the logic in both statements applies to all political parties. I think. What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Lovin' the candy corn background. I'm going to knit myself a candy corn colored scarf if the damn yarn I ordered ever gets here in time.

    ReplyDelete