Saturday, October 2, 2010

Saint Tawny

Where does "Saint Tawny" come from? Well, I've been calling myself Tawny online for years now. Originally, I went by Kiaro, the name of my main roleplay character from AIM and Yahoo RP chat rooms. Kiaro had a friend named Mia, also played by me. Mia had five sisters and one of them was named Tawny. Apparently, there's was a semi-famous stripper by that name around the time I started playing FFXI, but that's not where I got it. In Lion King 2, Kovu has a sister (half sister maybe?) named Vitani. So I dropped the "Vi" and spelled it like it sounded to me. I also learned later that Tawny is a color, on the orange side of tan, so that's what I named my Mithra.

Right, because Tawny is the curious part about that moniker.

Before FFXI, I played an MMO called Tibia. You could probably replace the "Massively" with "minorly" and be more accurate when describing that game. If you took a classic textual multi-user dungeon (MUD) and gave it the graphics of an NES game, you'd have something like Tibia. So on Tibia I met this kid named Jack. We dated in a non-serious "We're 10 years old and don't completely know what this dating scene is all about so let's give it a try" way, and we maturely realized that we worked better as friends than we did as a couple. So we were friends with and without contact for 7-ish years, and in my senior year he and I started talking again. He told me about this religion he'd found that he thought was incredible. Discordianism.

The most important thing to know about Discordianism is that it doesn't mean anything specific. Most Discordians pay their respects to Eris, the Goddess of Discord. Since Eris is the matron deity, trying to organize this religion would be all but pointless. Actually, it would be all pointless. Instead, members are encouraged to decide upon their own meaning. Malaclypse the Younger is the figurehead of the most famous sect, the one that I most closely align with, and he puts forth a few basic guidelines. First, that every man, woman and child on this Earth is a POPE. There is an official POPE card, but one does not need to have this card to be a Pope.
The rights of a Pope include but are not necessarily limited to:
  1. To invoke Infallibility at any time, including retroactively.
  2. To completely rework the Erisian church.
  3. To baptise, bury, and marry (with the permission of the deceased in the latter two cases).
  4. To excommunicate, de-ex-communicate, re-ex-communicate, and de-re-ex-communicate (no backsies!) both his-/her-/it-/them-/your-/our-/His-/Her-/It-/Them-/Your-/Our-self/selves and others (if any).
  5. To perform all rites and functions deemed inappropriate for a Pope of Discordia.

According to the Principia Discordia (the unofficial religious text of Malaclypse's sect) "Only a Pope may canonize a Saint. … So you can ordain yourself — and anyone or anything else — a Saint" ...So I did.

The wikipedia article is a good way to get your feet wet regarding Discordianism, and if you're bored you can read the Principa Discordia online in its entirety. I'm not really trying to convert you, I'm giving you this because it's worth a laugh, which is why I identify as Discordian.

Fnord.

No comments:

Post a Comment